Costa Rica Photography Workshop
“Steve has had the biggest impact on my photography in the last 40 years. He’s a Pro, an Artist and an Educator.”
Tom Hart, Ashland, Ohio
Travel with Steve into the heart of Costa Rica, a bio-diverse country in Central America that teems with wildlife, including spider monkeys, hummingbirds, and quetzal birds. It is also known for its tropical flora, volcanoes, beaches, and exotic landscapes. Roughly a quarter of its area is made up of protected jungle. More than 10% of the world's bird species, as well as over 400 species of reptiles and amphibians can be found in the rain forests.
The Costa Rica photography workshop is the perfect tour for photographers seeking to capture pristine landscapes characterized by cloud forests, volcanoes, and tropical rain forests. It is here that you will have the adventure of a lifetime as you photograph exotic animals, including monkeys, wildcats, sloths hanging from trees, tapirs and more.
During the workshop we will visit locations for landscapes and wildlife photography and indigenous villages. These may include any of the following:
- Poás Volcano, an active strato volcano crater & lakes, featuring an observation deck & trails.
- Sarapiqui, a natural paradise, full of beautiful secrets to discover, its rivers are among the best there are, and it has a variety of fauna and flora.
- Braulio Carrillo National Park, a natural preserve with scenic a tropical rain forest & volcanic mountains
- La Paz Waterfall Gardens, nature sanctuary close to San Jose with five waterfalls, cloud forest and rain forest.
- Del Toro waterfall, Costa Rica’s largest and most spectacular waterfall.
- Cordillera de Talamanca, Costa Rica's highest mountain range, covered in rainforest & home to indigenous peoples.
- Lankester Botanical Gardens, home to 15,000 orchids and 3,000 other types of plants.
- La Selva Biological Station, home to incredible biodiversity, especially birds.
- Rio Tárcoles, famous for its abundance of very large American crocodiles.
This workshop is ideal for couples. We will be staying at one of the top hotels in Costa Rica in the hills outside of San Jose, Hotel Alta Las Palomas. The hotel has a resort atmosphere and features a gourmet restaurant serving only locally grown organic foods. Anyone wishing to spend the day at Hotel Alta will have a pool, room service, and easy access to San Jose restaurants, entertainment, and shopping.
Dates: December 4 to 12, 2021
Locations: San Juan, rain forest, cloudforest, and the Pacific coast
Tuition: $3795 per person
Limited to 10 participants
Participants who have been on other workshops receive a discount.
To participate you don’t need to be an expert photographer; film, digital, interchangeable lens camera or cell phone, all are welcome.
Shared Room: $3795
Single supplement: $695
Limited to: 10 participants
Participants who have been on one of Steve's workshops will receive a 5% discount.
Accommodations at Hotel Alta Las Palomas
Transportation during the workshop
Native-born Photographer and Guide
Photography instruction in the field and image critiques provided by Steve Anchell
Travel to Costa Rica
Activities outside the workshop
All meals except those noted
Enrollment is limited to ten participants. Once the trip is confirmed, additional information and travel details will be provided.
All participants must have been vaccinated for COVID-19. Masks may be required depending on current CDC guidelines.
"Learning from Steve is a rare opportunity to learn from a master of his craft that only comes along a few times in a lifetime. Steve's knowledge is broad and deep. His good humor and passion for fine art photography, make working with him a joy . . . Highly recommended.” Ron Coelho, Vancouver, Wash.