"I have been fortunate to have taken multiple workshops with Steve over the past twenty years and have always left with a new vision of what I could accomplish." -FS Fenyvessy, San Antonio, Tex.
Southern France Photography Tour
Exploring Provence and Languedoc offers a unique opportunity to photograph the every-day lives and celebrations of the unique southern region. From the ancient port city of Marseilles to Ste. Marie-de-la-Mer, where the festival of Sara Kali is held each year, to a horse reserve where we’ll photograph the famed Camargue white horses and their Gardiens, the traditional market town of Uzès, the vibrant medieval city of Arles, and our home base, Avignon, you will have opportunities for both street scenes, dynamic action, and landscapes of this ancient and beautiful land.
To participate you don’t need to be an expert photographer; film, digital, interchangeable lens camera or cell phone, all are welcome.
During the workshop we will photograph a variety of subjects and regions:
• Guided tour of Arles led by Anne Clerque, daughter of the renowned French photographer, Lucien Clerque.
• The historic city of Avignon where the palace of the exiled Popes (1309 to 1376) has been turned into a historic site and art museum.
• Sara Kali Day celebrated by the Gitan (aka gypsies) in the village of Ste-Marie-de-la-Mer (we will be accompanied by Donna Conrad, a writer and expert on the Cult of the Black Madonna, of which Sara Kali is one).
• A late afternoon session photographing Camargue Horses at a working cattle ranch, followed by a dinner with our hosts, the Gardiens, traditional horsemen who protect the ancient breed of white horses.
• The vineyards of Chateauneuf du Pape.
• Pont du Gard, the "must see" ancient Roman aqueduct bridge built in the first century AD.
Shared Room: $5495 per person
Single Room: $745 additional
Limited to: 8 participants
Participants who have been on other workshops receive a 5% discount.
Enrollment is limited to 8 participants. Participants make their own travel arrangements to and from France. Once the trip is confirmed, additional information and travel details will be provided.
All participants must have been vaccinated for COVID-19. Masks may be required depending on current CDC guidelines.
We ask that you refrain from cell phone usage during workshop sessions, including shared meals, and traveling between destinations. Exceptions are family emergencies. If you must use your cell phone for business or social interaction, please wait until you can safely remove yourself from the workshop.