Anchell International Documentary Photography Scholarship
About the Scholarship
The Anchell International Documentary Photography Scholarship was first awarded for the year 2016. The scholarship is meant to encourage personal involvement in social issues, and promote socially conscious documentary photography. It is open to all fully-matriculated undergraduate and graduate students, regardless of degree major, gender, ethnic background, or country of residence.
The subject matter is entirely the choice of the student. However, it should clearly document a person, group of people, place, event, or happening of social relevance. Submitted images should be arranged and presented so they clearly tell the story of what is being documented.
The project does not have to be about people. Environmental issues, including land use or misuse, urban or rural issues, global or local events, will all be considered. The key is to indicate through your photographs that you are involved and are able to communicate your feelings about the subject you are documenting.
The medium of capture is not important. Images made with a cell phone, DSLR camera, view camera, or any other capture device, film or digital.
Students graduating within this time may also apply. A copy of a valid graduation diploma or certificate will be required.
High School Students should wait until they are attending college full-time before submitting.
Deadline: January 1, 2021
(The full application must be electronically received by 23:59 PDT, January 1, 2021)
Notice of Award: The successful award winners will be notified by e-mail no later than March 1, 2021. The award will be mailed to the recipient in the form of a bank check on or before April 1, 2021 (recipients outside of the US will receive their reward via Paypal).
To find out the recipient of the award you may contact the Award committee after April 15, 2021, at email@example.com.
- Completed on-line application
- Photocopy proof of college/university enrollment for the academic year of application
- 350-words or more about your documentary photo project, including who, what, where, when, and why. Include the project title on the essay.
- Drag and drop 12 - 20 JPEG (.jpg) photos onto the application form in the order you want them viewed. We recommend you use sequential numbering to name your image files (e.g., 01-[Name of Project].jpg, 02-[Name of Project].jpg, etc.).
The applicant automatically grants Anchell Photography, Inc. (API), its agents and/or representatives permission to:
- Use their name, photo, essay response, and award amount, if any, in announcements or articles (i.e. social media, newsletter, etc) issued by API.
- Post the applicant’s name, college or university, photographs and an essay on anchellworkshops.com website.
- Call and/or send information to the applicant regarding their application.
Winners must show proof of enrollment or graduation during the posted dates, above, to an accredited college, university or vocational/trade school within 21 calendar days of being notified by submitting either a copy of the tuition bill or a letter of proof from the school. In the event a winner cannot prove their enrollment to an accredited college, university or vocational/trade school, API will revoke the award for that individual and award it to the first runner-up.
The winner agrees to provide individual high-resolution jpeg images or high-resolution scans of original prints or negatives for reproduction by API. The images or scans must be received with a signed statement granting API the right to use them, according to the stipulations above, prior to the award being released.
E-mail all inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can submit your scholarship application through Fastweb or Scholarships.com.